A German homeopathic conference in the town of Handeloh, south of Hamburg, got pretty interesting thanks to hallucinogens. Of those participants, 29 men and women were rushed to the hospital after they were found “staggering around, rolling in a meadow, talking gibberish and suffering severe cramps” according to Northern German Broadcasting.
More than 150 medical staff, ambulances and police arrived at the scene to help. Blood and urines analysis showed that the conference-goers had ingested a LSD-like drug called 2C-E, also known as Aquarust. 2C-E has been illegal in Germany since 2014.
So how did this happen?
“It must have been a multiple overdose. That does not support the view that the people concerned took the hallucinogen knowingly,” said Torsten Passie, of the German government’s expert commission for narcotics. “One has to assume that people were not told about the substance, its effects and risks before taking it.”
Although this happened Friday, no one recovered sufficiently to be interviewed by the police until Monday. It remains to be seen how, exactly, all of this occurred.
If the hallucinogen-fueled madness was accidental, isn’t it a bit ironic given the fact that this was a conference centered on being careful about what you put in your body?
Even the Association of German Healing Practitioners (VDH), which represents homeopaths and naturopaths, attempted to distance itself with a statement that the organizers of this “obscure conference are unknown to [them] and such events will not be tolerated by [the] Association.” Awkward!